1807 - 1870 (62 years)
||More, Hiram  |
||17 Sep 1807
||Roxbury, Delaware, New York, USA [1, 2]
||23 May 1870
||Colchester, Delaware County, New York, USA [1, 2, 3]
||6 Jun 2021 |
||Squire, Abigail, b. 3 Apr 1811, Roxbury, Delaware, New York, USA , d. 30 May 1870, Andes, Delaware County, New York, USA (Age 59 years) |
||24 Sep 1829
||Roxbury, Delaware, New York, USA [2, 3, 4]
| ||1. More, Sarah Wilson, b. 16 Feb 1841, Downsville, Delaware County, New York, USA , d. 30 Jan 1928, Downsville, Delaware County, New York, USA (Age 86 years)|
||6 Jun 2021 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
|Born - 17 Sep 1807 - Roxbury, Delaware, New York, USA
|Married - 24 Sep 1829 - Roxbury, Delaware, New York, USA
|Child - More, Sarah Wilson - 16 Feb 1841 - Downsville, Delaware County, New York, USA
|Died - 23 May 1870 - Colchester, Delaware County, New York, USA
||At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.|
- Information supplied by: Juanita Goin (John More Association):
History of the More family: and an account of their reunion in 1890
By David Fellows More, Charles Church More
With A Genealogical Record by Charles Church More; Samuel P. More; Binghampton; 1893
HIRAM MORE (49), son of Jonas More and Deborah Person, was born in Roxbury, New York, September 17th, 1807.
In his young manhood he went to Andes, and engaged his services as clerk in the store of James Smith, where he remained for some time, and it is thought he became a partner for a brief period.
He afterward married Miss Abigail Squires, and settled on a farm in West Settlement adjoining John B. Gould's. While residing there they had eight children, the eldest of whom died in infancy.
Mr. More possessed in large degree the family trait of generosity and open-handedness, always being ready to assist any in need of assistance; and the sick found in him not only sympathy, but care and nursing and more substantial help. He had also the family's courage of conviction, and living in the troublous times of anti-rent agitation, was most pronounced in his opposition to their iniquitous schemes. This naturally excited their ire, and a party of them disguised as Indians, with their faces concealed by masks, intercepted him on the road between his home and the village, one day in 1845, and proceeded to ''tar and feather" him. Shortly afterwards they did the same to his brother-in-law.-and these two men, were the only ones in Delaware County thus honored. Some of the guilty parties were found, and those against whom the crime was proven, had the satisfaction of paying large fines and being imprisoned.
About the year 1849 Mr. More moved to Colchester, Delaware County, where he spent the remainder of his life and died there in May, 1870. He had ten children, all of whom lived to grow up except the eldest. Three sons have since died. Of the daughters two, Bettie Jane and Anna, are unmarried and reside in Bovina Centre. His wife survived him only seven days.
49. Hiram More, of Colchester, Delaware Co., N. Y.; b. September 17, 1807; d. May 23, 1870, in Colchester, N. Y.; son of 5. 'Jonas; m. September 24, 1829, Abigail, daughter of Enos Squire and Charity Stratton. She was b. April 3, 1811, in Roxbury, Delaware Co., N. Y.; d. May 30, 1870, in Andes, Delaware Co., N. Y.; had issue:
255. 4Charity, b. January 24, 1832, in Roxbury, Delaware Co., N. Y. d. February 4, 1832,"
256. 4Enos Squire, b. January 14, 1833,
257. 4Jonas, b. July 12, 1834,
258. 4Eleanor Squire, b. May 26, 1836
259. 4Wilson Squire, b. November 2, 1838,
260. 4Sarah Wilson, b. February 16, 1841,
261. 4Ezra W. S., b. September 20, 1843,
262. 4Bettie Jane, b. April 18, 1849, resides in Bovina Centre, Delaware Co., N. Y.
263. 4Mary Abigail, b. October 5, 1852, in Colchester, Delaware Co., N. Y.
264. 4Anna, b. November 5, 1855, resides in Bovina Centre, Delaware Co., N. Y.
- [S732] More Family History, More, David Fellows & More, Charles Church, (Samuel P. More; Binghampton; 1893), pgs193-194; p302 (Reliability: 3).
- [S730] Chronicles of the More Family, 360 (Reliability: 2), 6 Jun 2021.
45 Hiram More, b. Sept. 17, 1807, in Roxbury, N. Y.; d. May 23, 1870, in Colchester, N. Y.; m. Sept. 24, 1829, to Abigail Squire, b. April 3, 1811, at Roxbury; d. May 30, 1870, in Andes, N. Y.; had issue:
Researched by Ted Smith
- [S731] Juanita Goin, Goin, Juanita, (Email).
- [S732] More Family History, More, David Fellows & More, Charles Church, (Samuel P. More; Binghampton; 1893), p302 (Reliability: 3).