1809 - 1909 (99 years)
||Medearis, John Fletcher |
||16 Nov 1809
||Guilford County, North Carolina, USA 
||15 Nov 1909
||Greens Forlk, Wayne, Indiana, USA 
||2 Apr 2018 |
||Medaris, John, b. 1765, d. 1823 (Age 58 years) |
||Pigram, Mary, d. Unknown |
||Stokes County, North Carolina, USA
||6 children |
| ||1. Medearis, John Fletcher, b. 16 Nov 1809, Guilford County, North Carolina, USA , d. 1909 (Age 99 years)|
| ||2. Medearis, Charles R., b. 1812, d. 1889 (Age 77 years)|
| ||3. Medearis, Emsley, b. 1815, d. Unknown|
| ||4. Medearis, Martha, b. 1817, d. 1911 (Age 94 years)|
| ||5. Medearis, Nancy, b. 1819, d. Unknown|
| ||6. Medearis, William Jefferson, b. 2 Jan 1822, Guilford County, North Carolina, USA , d. 25 Dec 1911, Green Fork, Wayne, Indiana, USA (Age 89 years)|
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||2 Sons of Dr. David Sackett on Rival Sides in Civil War|
The story of Dr. David L. Sackett, pioneer Wayne county physician, dealt with in a previous article, told an interesting tale of early life in the settlement which grew into Richmond.
No less colorful are the histories of his descendants. Two of his sons served in the Union army and one with the Confederate forces.
- [S1619] Newspapers.com (Reliability: 3), 1 Apr 2018.
The Richmond Item (Richmond, Indiana), 15 Nov 1909, page 1
JOHN FLETCHER MEDEARIS ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF AGE
Born in Guilford County, North Carolina
Father of large family
Lives in Greens Fork
Son of John and Mary Pigrum Medearis
John Fletcher's father was twice married. With his first wife, he had sons Alfred and William. With his second wife, he had John Fletcher, Charles (deceased), Martha Keys (age 93, living in Centerville), Nancy Cook (age 90, living in Olive Hill), and Jefferson Medearis (age 87, living in Centerville). The father died when John Fletcher was 14. In 1829, their mother moved the family to Indiana, "on the site of old Salisbury, the first county seat. Later the family bought property in Centerville."
John Fletcher taught school in North Carolina and Indiana. In 1838, he married Caroline Abrahams. They had:
1. Adeline, who married Caleb King. Adeline died about 1869.
2. Martha, who married Mr. Cotton and lives in Indianapolis.
3. William, living in National Military Home in Dayton.
4. Israel, died about 1879.
5. Sarah, who married Joseph Russell and lives in Fairview.
6. Daniel, lives in Olive Hill.
7. Amanda, lives with her father in Greens Fork.
8. Gertrude, married Jasper Gunder, lives in Chicago.
9. Ella, married DeWitt Russell (brother of Joseph Russell), lives near Richmond.
10. John Fletcher, Jr., died about 1884, of typhoid.
11. Charles, lives in Dayton.
12. Lizzie, married Lafayette Jackson, lives in Centerville.
13. Fannie, who was age 18, died on the same day as John Fletcher Jr., of typhoid.
Researched by Ted Smith