1796 - 1861 (64 years)
||Skeels, Myra |
||13 Sep 1796 
||12 Feb 1861
||Adair County, Iowa, USA 
||22 Jun 2016 |
||Root, Azariah, b. 23 Nov 1790, Pittsfield, Berkshire County, Massachusetts, USA , d. 18 Nov 1873, Fontanelle, Adair County, Iowa, USA (Age 82 years) |
||Ohio, USA 
| ||1. Root, Almira, b. 23 Feb 1843, Wyandotte County, Ohio, USA , d. 31 Oct 1914, Massena, Cass County, Iowa, USA (Age 71 years)|
||22 Jun 2016 |
- [S927] U.S., Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications, 1889-1970, (Ancestry.com) (Reliability: 2), 22 Mar 2016.
Name: Ell Root
Birth Date: 27 Feb 1731
Birth Place: Westfield, Massachusetts
Death Date: 1804
Death Place: Pittsfield, Massachusetts
SAR Membership: 88354
Application Date: 27 Feb 1962
Father: Ensign Joseph Root
Mother: Sarah Root
Spouse: Mindwell Sackett
Children: Azariah Root
National Society, Sons of the American Revolution
Application for Membership
Ray E. McCurdy, Descendant of Eli Root
Ray E. McCurdy, age 73, b. 15 Oct 1888 in Massena, Cass County, Iowa
Descendant of Eli Root, b. 27 Feb 1731, in Westfield, Mass; d. 1804 in Pittsfield, Mass.
(1) Son of James Van McCurdy b. 4-6-1856, Dubuque Co., Iowa; d. 12-30-1921, St. Louis, Mo.; and his 1st wife, Gertrude Holaday, b. 5-6-1866, Winterest, Iowa; d. 3-4-1905, Bonesteel, S. Dak.; m. 12-15-1876, Massena, Iowa.
(2) Grandson of Samuel Holaday, b. 11-8-1839, Vermillion Co., Ind.; d. 3-29-1906, Massena, Iowa; and his 1st wife, Almira Root, b. 2-23-1841, Wyandotte Co., Ohio; d. 10-31-1914, Massena, Iowa; m. 12-14-1860, Adair Co., Iowa.
(3) Great-grandson of Azariah Root, b. 11-23-1790, Pittsfield, Mass.; d. 11-18-1873, Fontanelle, Iowa; and his 1st wife, Myra Skeels, b. 9-13-1796; d. 2-12-1861, Adair Co., Iowa; m. 1820, Ohio.
(4) Great-grandson of Azariah Root, 12-20-1761, Pittsfield, Mass; d. 12-31-1851, Ohio; and his 1st wife, Ellen Barbour, b. 1761; d. 1845; m. 10-5-1788.
(5) Great-grandson of Eli Root, b. 2-27-1731, Westfield, Mass.; d. 1804, Pittsfield, Mass.; and his 1st wife, Mindwell Sackett, b. 2-15-1732, Westfield, Mass.; m. 7-10-1755, Westfield, Mass.
(6) Great-grandson of Ensign Joseph Root, b. 6-16-1688, Westfield, Mass.; d. 2-10-1750; and his wife, Sarah, d. 1-24-1758.
(7) Thomas Root, b. 1648, Farmington, Conn.; d. 8-16-1709, Westfield, Mass.; and his 2nd wife, Mary Spencer, d. 11-4-1690.
(8) John Roote, b. 2-26-1608, Badby, England; d. 8- 1684 [Aug 1684]; and his 1st wife, Francis Kilbourne, b. Wood Dilton, Eng; d. 1697.
Ancestor's Service: As Captain, in command of a group of men engages in Colonel James Easton's Regiment, marched from Pittsfield, Massachusetts to Canada, August 4, 1775 and was dismissed December 30, 1775. Served 22 weeks and 2 days, also in command as Captain, of a group of men who were engaged in Canada, January 1, 1776. Served 3 months and 23 days.
Eli Root was a member of the Legislature in 1777 to aid in forming the State Constitution.
Transcribed by Ted Smith.